The Resource John Watkins papers, 1773-1832
- John Watkins papers, 1773-1832
- Inclusive dates
- Merchants. -- Virginia | New Kent County -- 18th century
- Watkins, John D., (John Dandridge), 1776-1833
- Business records
- Claiborne family
- Christian, John D, 1799-1864
- Virginia -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775
- Virginia -- Genealogy
- Decendents' estates -- Virginia | New Kent County
- Virginia -- History -- 1775-1865
- Personal papers
- Imports. -- England
- New Kent County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Genealogies -- Virginia | New Kent County
- New Kent County (Va.) -- History -- 18th century
- Letters (correspondence)
- Account books
- Watkins, John, ca. 1732-1785
- Watkins family
- Papers, 1773-1832, of John Watkins (ca. 1732-1785) of New Kent County. The collection includes a brief (one page) genealogy of John Watkins. Includes an account book (August 1773 - July 1779) of general merchandise imported from England, including, silk handkerchiefs, saddles, blankets, shoe thread, bed cords, and sundries. The client name and exchange rate is also included for each item. Also included in the account book are a list of personal expenses for food, such as, oysters, corn, plums, sugar, and coffee. Includes a letter, 16 July 1832, from John D. Christian (1779-1864), clerk of the New Kent County Court from 1824 to 1864, which discusses the estate of John Watkins (ca. 1732-1785) and the case of John Dandridge Watkins (1776-1833) against the representatives of Clayton. This collection is located on microfilm frames 2-285
- Biographical or historical data
- John Watkins (ca. 1732-1785) was married to Betty Claiborne (b. ca. 1751), the daughter of Philip Whitehead Claiborne, Esq. and Elizabeth of King William County, on 22 April 1772. They had four children, Elizabeth Dandridge (b. 20 February 1773), Ann Claiborne (b. March 1775), John Dandridge (1776-1833), and Ann Dandridge. John Watkins died 10 March 1785.
- John Dandridge Watkins (1776-1833), son of John Watkins (ca. 1732-1785) and Betty Claiborne (b. ca. 1751), served as Colonel in the Virginia Militia in the War of 1812.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of John Watkins papers, 1773-1832
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work John Watkins papers, 1773-1832
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Jr24PDejtJg/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Jr24PDejtJg/">John Watkins papers, 1773-1832</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...