The Resource Bland County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1874-1928
- Bland County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1874-1928
- Inclusive dates
- Land subdivision -- Virginia | Bland County
- Bland County (Va.) -- History
- Chancery causes -- Virginia | Bland County
- Business enterprises. -- Virginia | Bland County
- Wills -- Virginia | Bland County
- Equity. -- Virginia | Bland County
- Bland County (Va.)
- Local government records -- Virginia | Bland County
- Estates (Law) -- Virginia | Bland County
- African Americans -- History
- Debt -- Virginia | Bland County
- Divorce suits -- Virginia | Bland County
- Deeds -- Virginia | Bland County
- Bland County (Va.) -- Genealogy
- Judicial records -- Virginia | Bland County
- Land records -- Virginia | Bland County
- Plats -- Virginia | Bland County
- Bland County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1874-1928 (bulk 1885-1926), are indexed into the Chancery Records Index. Cases are identified by style of suit consisting of plaintiff and defendant names. Surnames of others involved in a suit, including secondary plaintiffs and defendants, witnesses, deponents and affiants, and family members with surnames different from the plaintiff or defendant are indexed. Chancery causes often involved the following: divisions of estates or land, disputes over wills, divorces, debt, and business disputes. Predominant documents found in chancery causes include bills (plaintiff's complaint), answers (defendant's response), decrees (court's decision), depositions, affidavits, correspondence, lists of heirs, deeds, wills, slave records, business records or vital statistics, among other items. Plats, if present, are noted, as are wills from localities with an incomplete record of wills or localities other than the one being indexed
- Chancery causes are useful when researching local history, genealogical information, and land or estate divisions. They are a valuable source of local, state, social, and legal history and serve as a primary source for understanding a locality's history
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Circuit Court (Bland County). Browse search: Bland County (Va.) Circuit Court.
- Biographical or historical data
- Chancery Causes are cases of equity. According to Black's Law Dictionary they are "administered according to fairness as contrasted with the strictly formulated rules of common law." A judge, not a jury, determines the outcome of the case.
- Bland County is said to have been named for Richard Bland, a leader of colonial Virginia's resistance to Great Britain in the 1760s and 1770s. It was formed from Giles, Wythe, and Tazewell Counties in 1861, and another part of Giles was added in 1900.
- Many Bland County loose records were destroyed by fire in 1888. All volumes and part of the chancery papers were saved.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Bland County Court Records can be found on microfilm at The Library of Virginia web site. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm."
- See the Chancery Records Index found on the Library of Virginia web site for the chancery records of other Virginia localities.
- Bland County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Bland County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Collection at the Library of Virginia. Search the Lost Records Localities Database found at the Library of Virginia web site.
ContextContext of Bland County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1874-1928
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Bland County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1874-1928
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/K0tcOcGxi2c/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/K0tcOcGxi2c/">Bland County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1874-1928</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...