The Resource Lewis Sutton autobiography, n.d.
- Lewis Sutton autobiography, n.d.
- Inclusive dates
- Autobiography, n.d., of Rev. Lewis Sutton (b. 1781) of Calvert County, Maryland. Topics include his early interest in religion, joining the Methodist Church, his marriage to Martha Dorsey in 1802, appointments to various circuits, his declining health, experiences as a slaveholder, his children, operating a dry goods business in Baltimore, troubles with the Methodists, the conduct of his religious life, and his opinions on the organization and reform within the Methodist Church. The autobiography ends with a religious discourse, and answers to various moral and religious questions
- Biographical or historical data
- Lewis Sutton was born on 9 May 1781 in Northumberland County, Virginia. He was the son of James Sutton and Elizabeth Coppage. The family later settled in Calvert County, Maryland. Sutton joined the Methodist Church and preached in Calvert and Anne Arundel Counties. He was postmaster at Huntington. Sutton also operated in dry goods business in Baltimore for a short time. He married Martha Dorsey in 1802 in Anne Arundel County. They had twelve children.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Lewis Sutton autobiography, n.d.
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Lewis Sutton autobiography, n.d.
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/KARedRr2Nio/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/KARedRr2Nio/">Lewis Sutton autobiography, n.d.</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...