The Resource Marcellus N. Moorman reminiscence, 1902
- Marcellus N. Moorman reminiscence, 1902
- Inclusive dates
- Reminiscence, 15 November 1902, of Marcellus N. Moorman (1835-1904), of the events leading up to the mortal wounding of Confederate General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson (1824-1863) at the Battle of Chancellorsville on 2 May 1863. Moorman, a former student of Jackson's at the Virginia Military Institute, was one of the last people to speak with the general. Also included is a letter, 22 November 1902, from Randolph Barton (1844-1921), stating that he believed Moorman's account to be accurate. Barton was a captain in the adjutant general's department, assigned to Stonewall's Bridgade. This collection is located on frames 179-191 of the reel
- Biographical or historical data
- Marcellus N. Moorman was born on 13 March 1835, the son of Charles and Ann Moorman of Campbell County, Virginia. In April 1861, Moorman enlisted in the Beauregard Rifles, and shortly thereafter was commissioned captain of a battery of six guns. A year later he was transferred to Stuart's Horse Artillery. Moorman was promoted to major in 1863. He was wounded on two separate occasions, but returned to combat after recovery, and continued serving until Appomattox. Moorman married Ellen Moorman on 20 January 1863. The couple had five children, two of whom died in infancy. Marcellus Moorman died on 29 May 1904.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Marcellus N. Moorman reminiscence, 1902
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Marcellus N. Moorman reminiscence, 1902
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/KISjhyBbD84/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/KISjhyBbD84/">Marcellus N. Moorman reminiscence, 1902</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...