The Resource Excommunication, Virginia Style
- Excommunication, Virginia Style
- Slavery and the church. -- Virginia
- Church and social problems -- Virginia -- 19th century
- Personal papers -- Virginia | Richmond
- Race relations -- Religious aspects | Christianity
- African American churches -- Virginia
- South Atlantic Quarterly
- Virginia -- History -- 19th century
- Virginia -- Religious life and customs
- Article, 1941, titled "Excommunication, Virginia Style" by Joseph C. Robert (1906-2003) concerns the religious disciplining of African Americans, both free and slave, in church matters and discusses how this discipline was meted out. This is a reprint from THE SOUTH ATLANTIC QUARTERLY, Vol. XL, No. 3, July, 1941
- Biographical or historical data
- Joseph Clarke Robert was born 2 June 1906 in State College, Mississippi. He received his BA from Furman University in 1927, his MA from Duke in 1929, and his Ph.D. from Duke in 1933. From 1932 to 1934, Robert taught history at the University of Richmond. He then taught from 1934 to 1938 at the Ohio State University. Robert returned to Duke to teach from 1938 to 1952. In 1952, he accepted the position of president of Coker College in Hartsville, South Carolina, then filled the same position at Hampden-Sydney College in Prince Edward County, Virginia. Robert left Hampden-Sydney in 1960, returning to the University of Richmond to teach from 1960 to 1971. Robert married twice, first to Evelyn Mercer Bristow and second to Sara Squires. Robert had two children. He died 8 March 2003 in Richmond, Virginia.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Excommunication, Virginia Style
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Excommunication, Virginia Style
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/KJrijxmf36w/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/KJrijxmf36w/">Excommunication, Virginia Style</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...