The Resource Montgomery County (Va.) Marriage Register and Index, 1777-1853
- Montgomery County (Va.) Marriage Register and Index, 1777-1853
- Inclusive dates
- Montgomery County (Va.) -- History
- Marriage. -- Virginia | Montgomery County
- Montgomery County (Va.)
- Indexes (reference sources) -- Virginia | Montgomery County
- Marriage records -- Virginia | Montgomery County
- Clergy. -- Virginia | Montgomery County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Montgomery County
- Marriage registers -- Virginia | Montgomery County
- Montgomery County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1777-1853, was compiled by extracting pertinent information from the original marriage bonds and ministers' returns found in the Circuit Court Clerk's Office. The register is comprised of two sections based on the materials utilized by the Virginia State Library staff. The first section of the register, pages 1-336, contains the date of the marriage bond (entered by month, day and year), the full names of the parties, the parents or guardians of the husband and wife and the security and withnesses. The second section of the register, pages 337-428, utilizes the information found in ministers' returns. Information recorded includes the date of the marriage, the full name of the husband and wife and the name of the minister who performed the ceremony. Alternate spellings of surnames, found in both sections, are noted with parentheses
- Montgomery County (Va.) Index to Marriage Register, 1777-1853, was compiled upon the completion of the register. The typewritten index is organized alphabetically, A-Z, by the surname of the bride or groom. See also indicates an alternate surname spelling. Individuals with illegible last names are listed alphabetically by their first name in the beginning of the index
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Montgomery County was formed from Fincastle County in 1776, and the county court first met on 7 January 1777. Part of Botetourt County was added in 1790. Part of Pulaski County was added in 1842. The county was named for Richard Montgomery, who was killed in the American assault on Quebec late in 1775.
- Fincastle County was created from Botetourt County in 1772, and the county court first met on 5 January 1773. Fincastle County became extinct on 31 December 1776 when it was divided to form Montgomery, Washington, and Kentucky Counties. The county was named probably for George, Viscount Fincastle, Lord Dunmore's son; for John Murray, fourth earl of Dunmore, Viscount Fincastle; or for the town of Fincastle, Virginia, which was established in 1772 and named for George, Viscount Fincastle.
- Prior to 1853, when the Commonwealth began recording vital statistics, Virginia marriages were recorded at the county or city level. Beginning in 1661, in order to be married by license, the groom was required to go before the county clerk and give bond with security that there was no lawful reason to prevent the marriage. The license, issued then by the clerk, was given to the minister who performed the service. Once the marriage service was performed, the minister submitted a return to the county clerk. Written consent from a parent or guardian was needed for individuals younger than twenty-one years.
- The original marriage bonds and ministers' returns, from which these volumes were compiled, were created by the County Court.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- These volumes are found at the State Records Center. Contact Archives Research Services for access information, directions and hours.
- Additional Montgomery County Marriage Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
ContextContext of Montgomery County (Va.) Marriage Register and Index, 1777-1853
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Montgomery County (Va.) Marriage Register and Index, 1777-1853
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/KVdXT6pGGHQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/KVdXT6pGGHQ/">Montgomery County (Va.) Marriage Register and Index, 1777-1853</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...