The Resource Cash account journal of the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners, 1910-1936
- Cash account journal of the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners, 1910-1936
- Inclusive dates
- Contains an account of cash paid to the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners by individuals applying to take the bar examination
- Biographical or historical data
- The Virginia Board of Bar Examiners was established by an act of the General Assembly approved March 14, 1910. Prior to this time, lawyers were admitted to the bar by the judges of the courts in which they intended to practice. The act of 1910 provided for the appointment by the Governor of a Board of Examiners to license lawyers. The Board served under the auspices of the Supreme Court of Appeals. The Board became a separate department in March 1972, when it was placed under the Supreme Court of Virginia. The five member board is appointed by the Chief Justice for a five year term; the Board elects one of its members to serve as its president.
- The Board is responsible for determining the qualifications of applicants who wish to take the bar examination. The applicants may be graduates of law schools, or they may have "read for the bar." Lawyers with many years of experience can request to be admitted "on motion" without having to take the exam. The Board is directly involved in preparing, conducting, and grading the examinations to satisfy the requirements. The bar examination is given twice each calendar year.
- The Board meets at least six times during the year. It issues licenses to practice in the state of Virginia, and certifies to the Supreme Court of Virginia the list of current licensees. It has the power to revoke, for good cause, a license issued. The Board appoints a qualified member of the Virginia State Bar to act as secretary and treasurer. An attorney serves on a part-time basis as director. The board publishes "Rules of the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners," examinations, and "Read for the Law."
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Cash account journal of the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners, 1910-1936
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Cash account journal of the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners, 1910-1936
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/LCGeAHjNDBo/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/LCGeAHjNDBo/">Cash account journal of the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners, 1910-1936</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...