The Resource George Brauning Holcomb papers, 1943-1947, 1954
- George Brauning Holcomb papers, 1943-1947, 1954
- Inclusive dates
- 1943-1947, 1954
- Papers, 1943-1947, 1954, of George Brauning Holcomb (1924-2010) of Woodbury County, Iowa, while he was in the United States Army during World War II, mainly during his enrollment at the Army Specialized Training Program at the University of Wisconsin, in preparation to become an interpreter. The collection includes two journals kept by Holcomb, which contain his thoughts on military service, impressions of his fellow trainees, and his notes on philosophy, psychology, morals, and literature, as well as short stories, poetry, lists of books read, and addresses. There are also military records, including his separation notice and discharge papers, and photographs while he was on leave in Iowa and on his way home from serving in France
- Biographical or historical data
- George Brauning Holcomb was born in Correctionville, Woodbury County, Iowa on 22 February 1924. He studied journalism at Morningside College in Sioux City, Iowa. Holcomb enlisted in the Army during World War II, and was enrolled in the Army Specialized Training Program (ASTP) at the University of Wisconsin in Madison, where he was trained as an interpreter in the Italian language. He served in the U.S. and the European Theatre, where he interrogated, instructed, classified, and supervised Italian prisoners of war. Following the war, Holcomb lived in Portland, Oregon, and then in Arlington and Prince William County, Virginia, where he was employed by the United States Department of Agriculture. Holcomb died in Miami, Florida on 28 November 2010.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- See also: George Brauning Holcomb Newspaper Columns (Accession 50824).
ContextContext of George Brauning Holcomb papers, 1943-1947, 1954
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work George Brauning Holcomb papers, 1943-1947, 1954
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/LChqzQSHSl4/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/LChqzQSHSl4/">George Brauning Holcomb papers, 1943-1947, 1954</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...