The Resource Correspondence, bonds, and accounts, 1892-1898
- Correspondence, bonds, and accounts, 1892-1898
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Revenue Assessment and Collection - Direct Tax
- Most of this series consists of distributors' bonds and accounts. There is also a small amount of correspondence. Each bond contains the signatures of the claimant and securities, the date, and the amount of the bond. The accounts contain the names of persons from whom the taxes had been collected and the amounts to be refunded from the years 1892-1893, 1895, 1897-1898
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Biographical or historical data
- On 5 August 1861 the United States Congress passed an act levying a direct tax on landowners to raise $20,000,000 for Civil War expenses. Operation of the act was suspended on 1 July 1862, after about $15,000,000 was raised. On 2 March 1891 the U.S. Congress passed an act to return this money to the states, and the General Assembly authorized acceptance of money on 15 December 1891.
- On 3 March 1892 the General Assembly passed an act authorizing the return of money collected by direct tax in 1861 to the persons who had paid it. The act provided for local distributors of the tax in each locality and required periodic reports on the distribution of the money. The distributors were required to post bonds, compile lists of taxpayers, and maintain accounts of the distributions.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 444
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Correspondence, bonds, and accounts, 1892-1898
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Correspondence, bonds, and accounts, 1892-1898
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/LJcl0rfQQC0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/LJcl0rfQQC0/">Correspondence, bonds, and accounts, 1892-1898</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...