The Resource 1621/2 Mar. 10
- 1621/2 Mar. 10
- Inclusive dates
- 1621/2 Mar. 10
- Typed transcript of the will, 10 March 1621/2, of John Rolfe (1585-1622) of James City Virginia appointing William Pyers, his father-in-law, guardian of his two children, Thomas and Elizabeth, and divides his estate equally between his wife and each of his children
- Biographical or historical data
- John Rolfe was born in England in 1585. He emigrated to Virginia aboard the "Sea Venture," which was wrecked in Bermuda, before completing its journey. Upon his arrival in Virginia, Rolfe began experimenting with various tobaccoes until developing one which became economically viable. For doing this, Rolfe has been credited with saving the colony of Virginia by providing it with a cash crop. He was appointed secretary in the colonial government in 1614 and recorder general in 1617. Rolfe served on the council from 1619 to 1622. Rolfe's first wife, Sarah Hacker Rolfe, travelled with him to Virginia and died there or in Bermuda. Their only daughter died in Bermuda. Rolfe married Pocahontas (d. 1617) in April 1614 and they had one son. At some date after 1617, he married Jane Pierce and they had one daughter. Tradition claims that Rolfe was killed in the Powhatan attack of 22 March 1622, but his name was not on the list submitted by the colony of those settlers who died. Rolfe had been in poor health and may have died of natural causes at roughly the same time.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Location of originals duplicates
- Public Record Office, Principal Probate Registry, Prerogative Court of Canterbury, England.
ContextContext of 1621/2 Mar. 10
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1621/2 Mar. 10
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/LL8HC849jYI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/LL8HC849jYI/">1621/2 Mar. 10</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...