The Resource Richard Henry Lee memorandum book, 1776-1794
- Richard Henry Lee memorandum book, 1776-1794
- Inclusive dates
- Memorandum book, 1776-1794, of Richard Henry Lee (1732-1794), detailing expenses and activities at his plantation in Westmoreland County, Virginia, and while serving as a member of the Continental Congress and United States Senate. Includes traveling and household expenses, monies paid, received, and loaned, recipes and prescriptions, sales, weights, and inventories of crops and livestock, slave hires and rents, tax payments and land purchases, tuition expenses, philosophical writings, legislative actions, and other miscellaneous entries
- Biographical or historical data
- A member of the prominent Lee family, Richard Henry Lee was born 20 January 1732 to Thomas Lee (1690-1750) and Hannah Harrison Ludwell Lee (1701-1750) of "Stratford Hall," Westmoreland County, Virginia. Educated in England, Lee returned to Westmoreland County upon the death of his father in 1750. He served in the House of Burgesses from 1758-1777 and 1780-1785 and in all five Virginia Conventions, 1774-1776. A member of the Continental Congress, 1774-1779 and 1784-1787, he introduced the Virginia resolution for independence which resulted in the Declaration of Independence in 1776, but did not serve on the committee which wrote it. In 1788, Lee opposed the adoption of the federal Constitution. He served as one of Virginia's first two United States senators from 1789 to 1792. Lee resigned and returned to his home "Chantilly" in Westmoreland County where he died 19 June 1794. He married first, Anne Aylett (1738-1768) 3 December 1757 and they had 4 children. Lee married second, Anne Gaskins (d. ca. 1796) in June or July 1769 and they had 5 children.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Richard Henry Lee memorandum book, 1776-1794
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Richard Henry Lee memorandum book, 1776-1794
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/MH2mTkNX5G8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/MH2mTkNX5G8/">Richard Henry Lee memorandum book, 1776-1794</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...