The Resource Index to land patents of the Colonial Land Office
- Index to land patents of the Colonial Land Office
- Each of the forty-two patent volumes is indexed individually. In columns under the number of each volume are listed the name of the patentee, the number of acres in the patent, and the page on which the document is recorded. The names are entered in the order in which they appear in each volume
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Colonial Land Office (Search Virginia Colonial Land Office as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- The secretary of the colony, Colonial Land Office, issued land patents based on importation, treasury and military rights. Two copies were made, one going to the patentee and the other retained by the secretary. These copies were hung on strings in the office and as time was available, they were recorded in bound volumes. A random method of selection of documents to be entered accounts for the haphazard dating in the early volumes, and the method of hanging the patent on strings accounts for loss of documents. The patents were consistent in format. Following a recitation of the titles of the sovereign under whom it was issued, were the consideration on which it was issued, the name of the patentee, size of the tract, county of location, description of the land, any reservation for the crown, and the date signed.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 1
- Citation source
- Land Office Inventory
ContextContext of Index to land patents of the Colonial Land Office
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Index to land patents of the Colonial Land Office
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/MLbRoOy1PUA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/MLbRoOy1PUA/">Index to land patents of the Colonial Land Office</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...