The Resource Warwick County (Va.) Marriage Licenses, 1893, 1902-1912
- Warwick County (Va.) Marriage Licenses, 1893, 1902-1912
- Inclusive dates
- 1893, 1902-1912
- Local government records -- Virginia | Warwick County
- Christian sects -- Virginia | Warwick County
- Newport News (Va.)
- Marriage certificates -- Virginia | Warwick County
- Clergy. -- Virginia | Warwick County
- Virginia -- Newport News (city) | History
- Marriage licenses -- Virginia | Warwick County
- Virginia -- Warwick County. | History
- African Americans -- Marriage -- Virginia | Warwick County
- Warwick County (Va.) Marriage Licenses, 1893, 1902-1912, include the following information: name of husband, name of wife, date license recorded in circuit court, date of marriage, place of marriage, full names of husband and wife, race, ages of husband and wife, condition of groom and bride at time of marriage (single, widowed, or divorced), place of birth (husband and wife), place of residence (husband and wife), names of parents (husband and wife), and occupation of husband. The marriage licenses also include marriage certificates signed by ministers who officiated the marriage. Information found in certificates includes name of minister, name of religious denomination, date certificate returned to courthouse, and signature of minister. The back of the license includes the page number and line number the marriage was recorded in the marriage register. The collection also includes a small number of unrecorded marriage licenses
- Biographical or historical data
- Warwick County was formed in 1634 and was one of the original shires of Virginia. It was called Warwick River County from 1634-1643. Now extinct, it was incorporated into the city of Warwick in 1952 and then into the city of Newport News in 1958. Newport News was established in 1880 and was part of Warwick County until it was incorporated as a city in 1896.
- County court records were destroyed at several times with most destruction occurring during the Civil War. The clerk's office was burned on 15 December 1864. County court minute books and loose records from 1787 to 1819 were destroyed by the fire. Additional records were burned in Richmond on 3 April 1865, where they had been moved for safekeeping during the Civil War.
- Newport News was located in Warwick County, which is now extinct. The origin of the name is uncertain but the phrase "Newportes News" appeared in documents as early as 1619 and probably commemorated Christopher Newport, who made five voyages to Virginia between 1607 and 1619. Newport News was a small settlement until late in the nineteenth century, when it became the eastern terminus of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway. It was established in 1880 and incorporated as a city by act of the General Assembly in 1896 without ever having been incorporated as a town. Newport News was enlarged by consolidation with the city of Warwick in 1858.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Warwick County marriage registers and indices are available on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm."
- Warwick County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Warwick County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
ContextContext of Warwick County (Va.) Marriage Licenses, 1893, 1902-1912
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Warwick County (Va.) Marriage Licenses, 1893, 1902-1912
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/MLpPUNsPSDc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/MLpPUNsPSDc/">Warwick County (Va.) Marriage Licenses, 1893, 1902-1912</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...