The Resource Warwick County (Va.) Court Docket Book, 1813-1818
- Warwick County (Va.) Court Docket Book, 1813-1818
- Inclusive dates
- Warwick County (Va.) Court Docket Book, 1813-1818, records the schedule of the cases awaiting action in the County Court including office judgments, issues, writs of inquiry, criminal suits, and chancery causes. Information recorded includes surname of plaintiff, surname of defendant, reason for action (debt, presentment, case, slander, etc.) The volume records grand jury presentments made against individuals accused of a crime. Information includes name of accused and alleged crime committed. The volume also records the schedule for guardians' returns. Information includes name of guardian and names of minors
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Warwick County was named either for Robert Rich, earl of Warwick, a prominent member of the London Company, or for the county of Warwick in England. The county was originally called Warwick River and was one of the original shires, or counties, first enumerated in 1634. The shorter name was adopted in 1643. Warwick County became extinct in 1952, when it became the city of Warwick. The new city was consolidated with the city of Newport News in 1958 and took the latter’s name. Denbigh was the county seat.
- County court records were destroyed at several times with most destruction occurring during the Civil War. The clerk's office was burned on 15 December 1864. County court minute books and loose records from 1787 to 1819 were destroyed by the fire. Additional records were burned in Richmond on 3 April 1865, where they had been moved for safekeeping during the Civil War.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Warwick County court records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm.
- Warwick County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Nottoway County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
ContextContext of Warwick County (Va.) Court Docket Book, 1813-1818
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Warwick County (Va.) Court Docket Book, 1813-1818
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/MfaUHe-mlfI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/MfaUHe-mlfI/">Warwick County (Va.) Court Docket Book, 1813-1818</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...