The Resource Rockbridge County (Va.) Judgments (Freedom Suits), 1809-1854
- Rockbridge County (Va.) Judgments (Freedom Suits), 1809-1854
- Inclusive dates
- Rockbridge County (Va.)
- Slaveholders. -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Civil actions -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Slavery -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Wills -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Free African Americans. -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Rockbridge County (Va.) -- Genealogy. -- Genealogy
- African Americans -- History
- Rockbridge County (Va.) -- History
- Freedom suits -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Judicial records -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Petitions -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Rockbridge County (Va.) Judgments (Freedom Suits), 1809-1854, consist of suits initiated by slaves seeking to gain their freedom on the law side of the court. Cases are identified by style of suit consisting of plaintiff and defendant names. Surnames of others involved in a suit, including secondary plaintiffs and defendants, witnesses, deponents and affiants, and family members with surnames different from the plaintiff or defendant are indexed. Also identified are names of slaves and slaveowners found in suit as well as whether slave(s) won their freedom. Predominant documents found in Judgments (Freedom Suits) include petitions, records of suits, depositions, affidavits, wills, among other items. Information found in documents include slave's argument for freedom, acquisition of slaves by slaveowners, slave ancestry, and relationship between slaves and slaveowners
- Judgments (Freedom Suits) are useful when researching local history and genealogical information, particularly for African Americans. They are a valuable source of local, state, social, and legal history and serve as a primary source for understanding a locality’s history
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Circuit Court (Rockbridge County). Browse search: Rockbridge County (Va.) Circuit Court.
- Biographical or historical data
- Slaves sued for emancipation in freedom suits based on the following: they were descendant(s) of a free female ancestor, typically a Native American (Hening Statutes, volume 2, p.170); failure of slaveowner(s) to abide by the 1778 slave nonimportation act (Henings Statutes, volume 9, pp. 471-472); or claimed to have been freed by slaveowner(s) by deed of emancipation or last will and testament (Henings Statutes volume 11, pp. 39-40)
- Rockbridge County was named for Natural Bridge, an exceptional rock formation located in the county. The county was formed from Augusta and Botetourt Counties in 1778, and another part of Botetourt was added in 1888. The county seat is the city of Lexington.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Rockbridge County Court Records can be found on microfilm at The Library of Virginia web site. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm."
- Additional Rockbridge County Judgments are found at the Library of Virginia.
ContextContext of Rockbridge County (Va.) Judgments (Freedom Suits), 1809-1854
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Rockbridge County (Va.) Judgments (Freedom Suits), 1809-1854
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/MhGV04xW_Oc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/MhGV04xW_Oc/">Rockbridge County (Va.) Judgments (Freedom Suits), 1809-1854</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...