The Resource Recruitment of state troops for the United States Army records, 1778-1789
- Recruitment of state troops for the United States Army records, 1778-1789
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Military Expenditures - Revolutionary War. Militia
- The records in this series concern the settlement of accounts for funds expended or collected by recruiting officers, and include the following: Accounts, 1782-1784, n.d., 1 in.; Bonds, 1785, 3 items; Certificates, 1783, 5 items; Correspondence, 1782-1785, n.d., 10 items; List, 1789, 1 item; Memoranda, 1782, 2 items; Notice, n.d., 1 item; Receipts, 1782-1783, 37 items; Returns, 1780-1781, 3 items; Warrant, 1784, 1 item
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Biographical or historical data
- During the revolutionary war the state government found it necessary to induce soldiers to enlist by offering them various incentives, including bounties of money and land and the opportunity to supply substitutes or avoid service by the payment of additional taxes. Recruiting officers received state funds with which to pay bounties, and also were required to account for taxes collected in lieu of military service.
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 226
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Recruitment of state troops for the United States Army records, 1778-1789
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Recruitment of state troops for the United States Army records, 1778-1789
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/N281Xsgx_eo/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/N281Xsgx_eo/">Recruitment of state troops for the United States Army records, 1778-1789</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...