The Resource Irvin Cross Wills papers, 1863-1865
- Irvin Cross Wills papers, 1863-1865
- Inclusive dates
- Papers, 1863-1865, of Irvin Cross Wills (1838-1912), while he was serving with the 13th Virginia Cavalry. There are letters, a diary, military pass and loyalty oath certificate, poetry, and clippings. The majority of the letters are written to his wife Margaret L. (Cobb) Wills (1842-1929). He describes skirmishes with Union cavalry, troop movements, strength, and morale, his health, news of mutual acquaintances serving in the Confederate army, weather, rations, returning to duty after being wounded, his examination for promotion, possible furloughs, and his returning home after the war ended. Much of the correspondence deals with his courtship to Cobb, who was his cousin, and he gives his opinions on marriage, and also writes concerning their engagement and wedding plans. There are transcriptions for some of the letters
- The diary covers the year 1864. There are few entries until 4 April. Wills notes his promotion to captain on 20 February. He also mentions the movements of his unit, battles and skirmishes, furloughs, and the weather. There are miscellaneous accounts at the end of the volume
- Biographical or historical data
- Irvin Cross Wills was born on 22 March 1838. He was the son of James and Winifred Wills. He enlisted on 7 May 1861 at Jersusalem, Southampton County, Virginia. Wills first served in the 5th Virginia Cavalry, and was then transferred to the 13th Virginia Cavalry. He was promoted to first lieutenant, and then to captain. Shortly before the war ended, Wills married his cousin Margaret L. Cobb (1842-1929) in January 1865. He died in Southampton County on 29 January 1912, and is buried in Poplar Springs Cemetery in Franklin, Virginia.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Irvin Cross Wills papers, 1863-1865
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Irvin Cross Wills papers, 1863-1865
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/N6XoYEHaY5Q/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/N6XoYEHaY5Q/">Irvin Cross Wills papers, 1863-1865</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...