The Resource George W. Williams Journal and Ledger, 1845-1848
- George W. Williams Journal and Ledger, 1845-1848
- Inclusive dates
- Local government records -- Virginia | Powhatan County
- Barter. -- Virginia | Powhatan County
- General stores. -- Virginia | Powhatan County
- Consumer goods -- Virginia | Powhatan County
- Powhatan County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Journals (accounts) -- Virginia | Powhatan County
- Williams, George W
- Dry-goods -- Virginia | Powhatan County
- Business records -- Virginia | Powhatan County
- Ledgers (account books) -- Virginia | Powhatan County
- Journal, 1845-1848, of George W. Williams used as a daybook to record daily transactions in chronological order. Information recorded in the daybook includes date of transaction, name of customer, form of transaction, items purchased, quantity of items purchased, cost per item, form of payment, total amount owed, and total amount paid. Items sold include spices, dry-goods, soap, food, farm equipment, clothing, nails, chairs, and rum. Forms of payment include cash, credit and barter of items such as butter, wheat, bacon, and raw hide
- Ledger, 1846-1848, records the accounts of individual customers. Each account lists transactions in chronological order. Information found in each entry include date of transaction, form of transaction, amount owed, form of payment, and amount paid. Volume does not contain detailed information regarding items sold by merchant. Rather, it uses the term "merchandise." Information found in ledger was derived from journal. Ledger entries include page numbers of corresponding journal where detailed information can be found. Ledger includes an index listing customers' names in alphabetical order and the page number their accounts can be found. Many pages in ledger defaced by drawings and writings
- Biographical or historical data
- George W. Williams owned a general store located in the town of Jefferson, Virginia, and conducted business during the mid-19th century.
- The journal and ledger were used as exhibits in the chancery suit Binford and Nimms, creditors versus Administrator of George W. Williams, etc., heard in the Powhatan County Circuit Court.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- For additional information see the Powhatan County Chancery Cause, Binford and Nimms, creditors versus Administrator of George W. Williams, etc., available on the Library of Virginia's Chancery Records Index. The index number is 1868-014.
ContextContext of George W. Williams Journal and Ledger, 1845-1848
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work George W. Williams Journal and Ledger, 1845-1848
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/NBskXNQsKak/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/NBskXNQsKak/">George W. Williams Journal and Ledger, 1845-1848</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...