The Resource Bonds, Commissions, Oaths. : Series history
- Bonds, Commissions, Oaths. : Series history
- Title remainder
- Series history
- This record describes the broad range of records encompassed by the Bonds, Commissions, Oaths category. This is one of the eighteen major circuit court records groups. These broad categories are found in A PRELIMINARY GUIDE TO PRE-1904 COUNTY RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH, VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES
- Forms part of the records of the Virginia Circuit Court. Record VASV94-A348 is a history of the Virginia Circuit Court.
- Biographical or historical data
- The bonds, commissions, oaths records group encompasses a broad category of non-fiduciary records concerning the performace of a certain task or office. In order to insure that public offices were properly filled and the responsibilities properly performed, bonds were required of the officials. This involved pledging a certain set sum of money that would be payable by the officeholder and/or his securities if he failed to fulfil his job related duties. In addition to elected officials, there were also individuals appointed to commissioned. In addition to putting up a bond, the individuals had to take an oath promising to properly serve in the office to which they had been appointed or elected. The selection process for officeholders varied between elective and appointive throughout the history of the state and depending on the office. There are also bonds for non-public offices [i.e. ordination] and for being employed in certain professions or operating certain public institutions [i.e. ordinaries]. These are to ensure that private individuals, performing public, but not official, functions, do the job in a responsible manner.
- There are also a number of bonds involving various actions in court suits. When these bonds have been kept separately from the papers in a suit, they are filed in this category. The types of records found in this series include appointments, apprentice indentures, attachement bonds, bail bonds, bond books, certificates of ordination, commissions, declaration bonds, delivery bonds, forthcoming bonds, injunction bonds, lists of licenses, nominations, oaths (amnesty and of office), officials's bonds, ordinary bonds, replevy/replevin bonds, and stay bonds.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Bonds, Commissions, Oaths. : Series history
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Bonds, Commissions, Oaths. : Series history
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/NDjkaGIF_5Q/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/NDjkaGIF_5Q/">Bonds, Commissions, Oaths. : Series history</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...