The Resource Newport News (Va.) Record of Declaration of Intention, 1908 July-1910 Dec
- Newport News (Va.) Record of Declaration of Intention, 1908 July-1910 Dec
- Inclusive dates
- 1908 July-1910 Dec
- Newport News (Va.) record of declaration of intention (1908 July-1910 Dec) are two volumes that record a person's name, age, occupation, color, complexion, height in feet and inches, weight, color of hair, color of eyes, other visible distinctive marks, place and date of birth, current residence, place from where emigrated to the United States, vessel arrived on, last foreign residence, a renunciation of allegiance and fidelity to the state of which the person is currently a citizen, and the date the intention was sworn. There is an index in the front of each volume
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Newport News was established in 1880 and was part of Warwick County until it was incorporated as a city in 1896. In 1958, it absorbed the now extinct locality of Warwick County.
- Declarations of intent were the record by which an applicant for U.S. citizenship declared their intent to become a citizen and renounced their allegiance to a foreign government. A declaration of intention normally preceded proof of residence or a petition to become a citizen by two or more years. Beginning in 1795, a person could declare their intent to become a citizen at any time and in any place after they arrived in the United States.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Newport News records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia web site.
ContextContext of Newport News (Va.) Record of Declaration of Intention, 1908 July-1910 Dec
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Newport News (Va.) Record of Declaration of Intention, 1908 July-1910 Dec
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/NFlddj_UTIY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/NFlddj_UTIY/">Newport News (Va.) Record of Declaration of Intention, 1908 July-1910 Dec</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...