The Resource Hotchkiss-McCullough family papers, 1845-1912
- Hotchkiss-McCullough family papers, 1845-1912
- Inclusive dates
- Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- McCullough family
- Personal papers -- Virginia | Staunton
- Personal papers -- Virginia | Augusta County
- Business records -- Virginia | Staunton
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- Personal papers -- Maryland
- Cartography -- Virginia
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Cartography
- Letters (correspondence)
- Hotchkiss family
- This accession is a collection of personal, professional and business papers, account books, diaries, and maps of Jedediah Hotchkiss (1828-1899). Includes war letters and diaries of Samuel Thomas McCullough of Annapolis, Maryland, as well as two diaries relating to a tour of Virginia battlefields made in 1878. Also included are five letters by Robert E. Lee, one letter by Stonewall Jackson, and correspondence with Dr. Hunter McGuire, a physisian on Jackson's staff, which record McGuire's recollection of various events of the Civil War. Contains correspondence of Sarah Comfort Hotchkiss, widow of Jedediah Hotchkisss, and papers relating to Hotchkiss's daughter Anne H. Howson
- Biographical or historical data
- Jedediah Hotchkiss was a teacher, geologist, cartographer and mining engineer of Staunton and Augusta County, Virginia. He served as topographical engineer on the staff of General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson during the Civil War. He later became the author of a book on troop movements and battle of Chancellorsville. He also edited and published works on the development of the mining industry in Virginia.
- Samuel Thomas McCullough was Jedediah Hotchkiss's son-in-law, and Lieutenant in the 2nd Maryland Infantry.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Hotchkiss-McCullough family papers, 1845-1912
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Hotchkiss-McCullough family papers, 1845-1912
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/NL8zAGOqo7Y/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/NL8zAGOqo7Y/">Hotchkiss-McCullough family papers, 1845-1912</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...