The Resource Proclamation, 1700 September 4
- Proclamation, 1700 September 4
- Inclusive dates
- 1700 September 4
- Proclamation by Francis Nicholson, [Lieutenant and Governor General of Virginia], [James City County], 4 September 1700. Nicholson declares that he has been ordered to go to New York and that William Byrd, as president of the council, will assume administration of the government. This proclamation is also signed by Edmund Jennings, Deputy Secretary. This appears to be the manuscript copy sent to Essex County since a notation by Francis Meriwether, Clerk, Essex County, states that it was published in Essex County court and recorded 10 September 1700. Reference to this proclamation is included in Essex County Deeds and Wills No. 1699-1702, page 55 of the second pagination
- Biographical or historical data
- Francis Nicholson (1655-1728) served as governor from 9 December 1698 to 15 August 1705 except for brief absences in 1700, 1703 and 1704. William Byrd (1652-1702) president of the Council and acting governor during Nicholson's absences from September-24 October 1700, April-June 1703 and August-September 1704.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
- McIlwaine, H.R., ed. EXECUTIVE JOURNALS OF THE COUNCIL OF COLONIAL VIRGINIA. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1925. Vol. II, pp. 108-109
ContextContext of Proclamation, 1700 September 4
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Proclamation, 1700 September 4
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/NQmCff3nZ3o/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/NQmCff3nZ3o/">Proclamation, 1700 September 4</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...