The Resource William Makepeace Thackeray tribute, 1864
- William Makepeace Thackeray tribute, 1864
- Inclusive dates
- Tribute, 1864, to English author William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863), written by W. Gordon McCabe (1841-1920). Weaving in numerous references to Thackeray's works, McCabe extols what he saw as the author's "fearless" literary attacks on "the sins of the world." This collection is located on frames 46-55 of the reel
- Biographical or historical data
- William Gordon McCabe was born in Richmond, Virginia, on 4 August 1841, the son of Episcopal minister John Collins McCabe and his wife, Eliza. W. Gordon McCabe graduated from Hampton Academy in 1858, then became a tutor in the home of John A. Selden of Westover. He entered the University of Virginia in 1860, then enlisted with the Richmond Howitzers at the outbreak of the Civil War. By the end of the war he was a captain of artillery. He then settled in Petersburg and opened McCabe's University School, where he served as headmaster and carried on an active writing career. In 1895, he moved to Richmond, where he died on 1 June 1920.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of William Makepeace Thackeray tribute, 1864
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work William Makepeace Thackeray tribute, 1864
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Ntt6BdDee_s/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Ntt6BdDee_s/">William Makepeace Thackeray tribute, 1864</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...