The Resource Fredericksburg and Valley Plank Road Company records, 1850-1862
- Fredericksburg and Valley Plank Road Company records, 1850-1862
- Inclusive dates
- These records contain letters sent, reports, lists of stockholders, and certificates of stock subscriptions
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Board of Public Works (search author as Virginia Board of Public Works)
- Biographical or historical data
- An act of the General Assembly approved February 2, 1850 authorized formation of the Fredericksburg and Valley Plank Road Company as a corporation to construct a road from Fredericksburg in Spotsylvania County to the eastern base of the Blue Ridge in Greene County, on to Harrisonburg in Rockingham County. Capital stock subscriptions were set at $100,000, with the Board of Public Works authorized to subscribe to 3/5 or $60,000. They were to begin construction at Fredericksburg, with gates every five miles to collect tolls so long as the amount collected did not exceed 15% of the capital stock per year. Branches to Culpeper courthouse and any others were authorized, not to exceed ten miles in length, and $30,000 additional was approved for the branches. Sale of the Swift Run Gap Turnpike Company was authorized to the Company, and the Commonwealth would become a stockholder in the Company in an amount equal to that invested in the Swift Run Gap Turnpike Company. The city of Fredericksburg was authorized to subscribe as much as $3,000. Capital stock was increased by $50,000 in March, 1851, and by $74,000 in March, 1853, in order to construct a branch road to Culpeper Courthouse.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 260
- Citation source
- Board of Public Works inventory
ContextContext of Fredericksburg and Valley Plank Road Company records, 1850-1862
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Fredericksburg and Valley Plank Road Company records, 1850-1862
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/OFcihUpaEek/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/OFcihUpaEek/">Fredericksburg and Valley Plank Road Company records, 1850-1862</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...