The Resource Cumberland County (Va.) Judgments, 1749-1902
- Cumberland County (Va.) Judgments, 1749-1902
- Inclusive dates
- Debt -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Judicial records -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Cumberland County (Va.) -- History
- Local government records -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Public records -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Decisions -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Cumberland County (Va.)
- Civil procedure. -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Cumberland County (Va.) Judgments, 1749-1902, contain civil cases in which justice was administered on the strictly formulated rules of common law. The majority of cases in this record series relate to matters of debt
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Circuit Court (Cumberland County). Browse search: Cumberland County (Va.) Circuit Court.
- Biographical or historical data
- Cumberland County was formed in 1749 from Goochland County.
- This law represents the first time that the members of the General Assembly detailed the procedure for a slave brought to trial for a capital offense. A slave had a trial in a court of oyer and terminer. The literal translation of "oyer and terminer" is "to hear and determine." Four of a county's justices of the peace heard the trial and decided the fate of the person charged with a crime. The slave was denied the right to a jury trial that white men and women had.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Cumberland County Court Records can be found on microfilm at The Library of Virginia web site. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm."
ContextContext of Cumberland County (Va.) Judgments, 1749-1902
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Cumberland County (Va.) Judgments, 1749-1902
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/OLNV-hPhP6o/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/OLNV-hPhP6o/">Cumberland County (Va.) Judgments, 1749-1902</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...