The Resource Order of the Grand Assembly, 1642 June 29
- Order of the Grand Assembly, 1642 June 29
- Inclusive dates
- 1642 June 29
- Order of the Grand Assembly, 29 June 1642, concerning claim to land by purchasers of Martins Brandon from heirs of Capt. John Martin. A typed transcirption is included
- According to Hening, "of the proceedings of the Grand Assembly of Virginia in the year 1642, we have no remains, except two papers..." These are printed in HENING'S STATUTES, vol. 1, pp. 230-238, and do not include the above document. According to Patent Book 1, part 2, p. 910, land known as Martins Brandon in Charles City County was granted on 5 August 1643 to Simon Turgis, John Sadler, and Richard Quiney, by purchase from the heirs of Capt. Martin, as authoritzed by the Grand Assembly in March 1643 and on 9 June 1643
- Biographical or historical data
- This legislative branch of government in Virginia is the oldest in the New World. The first meeting of the Grand Assembly of governor, councillors and burgesses took place in Jamestown on July 30, 1619. The Grand Assembly continued to meet until 1642. In 1643 the House of Burgesses met through 1776, when the General Assembly was restructured to consist of the House of Delegates and the Senate.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Order of the Grand Assembly, 1642 June 29
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Order of the Grand Assembly, 1642 June 29
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/OMWi89aRdPw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/OMWi89aRdPw/">Order of the Grand Assembly, 1642 June 29</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...