The Resource 1784-1806
- Inclusive dates
- Business records -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Heron, Lenox and Company (Great Britain)
- Freeland, James
- Gillies, William
- Virginia -- Commerce -- 18th century
- Freeland and Gillies (Petersburg, Va.)
- Merchants -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Letters (correspondence)
- Account books
- Tobacco industry -- Virginia -- 18th century
- Freeland, Archibald, d. 1849
- Records, 1784-1806, of Freeland and Gillies, merchants with general stores located in Petersburg and Manchester, Virginia. Consists of accounts and invoices, 1784-1795, with various merchants in Great Britain but principally with Heron, Lenox and Company in London; a customer account book, 1789-1797, noting daily sales and purchases; correspondence, 1789-1802, principally exchanged between Freeland and Gillies, including Archibald Freeland, James Freeland, and William Gillies, and Heron, Lenox and Company; and court documents, 1788-1806, including accounts, concerning the chancery cause between Heron, Lenox and Company, plaintiffs, and Archibald Freeland, defendant. Accounts and account books contain entries for sales, purchases and shipments of flour, bread, coal, salt, and tobacco. Correspondence chiefly concerns business matters including prices of goods, shipments, sales of goods, and debts
- Biographical or historical data
- Freeland and Gillies was a successful merchant firm that dealt primarily in tobacco but also found success in other goods. Owners were likely Archibald Freeland, James Freeland and William Gillies.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of 1784-1806
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1784-1806
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/OQJLMtX1WTA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/OQJLMtX1WTA/">1784-1806</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...