The Resource Cumberland Baptist Church minute book, 1836-1856
- Cumberland Baptist Church minute book, 1836-1856
- Inclusive dates
- Church records -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Cumberland County (Va.) -- Church history -- 19th century
- Cumberland Baptist Church (Cumberland County, Va.)
- Minute books
- Membership lists
- Baptismal records. -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- African American Baptists. -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Baptists -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Minute book, 1836-1856, of the Cumberland Baptist Church, also known as Jenkins Church, of Cumberland County, Virginia. These minutes cover the period from August 1836 to 25 October 1856. They are brief with limited information. Membership lists appear on pages 17-21, 29, 31 (showing baptisms of 1852), and 53. Meeting notes are taken by clerks Byrd Farmer, O.J. Reynolds, and V.C. Ryals. Contains a listing from 1843 of both white and African American church members. A short treasury account is also included in the last few pages of the book
- Also included in this accession is a booklet published in 2008 entitled "Jenkins Church: Historical Notes & Memories," by Gail M. McClure. The booklet contains a brief history of the church and first pastor Reverend Joseph Jenkins. Also includes an inventory of church documents and photographs of the building and a number of parishioners
- Biographical or historical data
- Cumberland Baptist Church was founded in 1810 by Joseph Jenkins. The church first met in a log building. Members of Cumberland Baptist church met alternately at Booker’s Meeting House and Tar Wallet Meeting House between 1836 and 1843 when the congregation divided. The members living near Tar Wallet formed a separate church and the remaining members constituted Cumberland Baptist Church. The congregation met at Booker’s Meeting House from 1856 until 1858 when the congregation began meeting at Jenkins’ Meeting House.
- Prominent families who were members of Cumberland Baptist Church include Jenkins family, Anderson family, Reynolds family, Dowdy family, Dunkum family, Meador family, Nunnally family, Parker family, Sanderson family, and Talley family.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Cumberland Baptist Church mintue book, 1836-1856 [negative photostats] (LVA accession 24200).
ContextContext of Cumberland Baptist Church minute book, 1836-1856
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Cumberland Baptist Church minute book, 1836-1856
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/OZHBLNFSQhQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/OZHBLNFSQhQ/">Cumberland Baptist Church minute book, 1836-1856</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...