The Resource Records, 1861-1865.
- Records, 1861-1865.
- Inclusive dates
- Coughlan, P.G., (Peter G)
- Virginia Military Institute
- Railroads -- Virginia -- Rates
- Virginia -- Officials and employees
- Virginia -- Officials and employees | Salaries, etc
- Cotton growing
- Davis, Jefferson, 1808-1889
- Smith, William, 1797-1887
- Confederate States of America
- Military deserters -- Confederate States of America
- Confederate States of America
- State government records -- Virginia
- Confederate States of America -- History | Sources
- Letters (correspondence)
- Lee, Robert E., (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Prisoners of war -- Confederate States of America
- State government -- Virginia -- Officials and employees
- Virginia Committee on Federal Relations
- Confederate States of America -- Pay, allowances, etc
- French, Samuel Bassett, 1820-1898
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Contains records of the Virginia General Assembly at Richmond. The majority of the contents are from the Senate, but documents from the House of Delegates are present. Materials consist of the following: documentation of executive sessions; correspondence; lists of senate members with notes regarding votes cast; resolutions; drafts of legislation; and copies of publication proofs of legislation
- Topics addressed include: the relationship between Virginia and the Confederate States of America as demonstrated through the work of the Committee on Federal Relations and the Committee of Military Affairs; legislation including drafts of proposed legislation; tallies of votes for legislation; the affairs of the Virginia troops, including organization of units and pay for the soldiers; the production and trade of cotton, tobacco, and grain - including war-related considerations; insuring the adequate supply of necessities including salt and coal, including making provisions for these items to be available in specific areas of the Commonwealth; the future of the Virginia Military Institute including the question of moving the campus to another location and appointing members to the board of visitors; addressing the issue of deserters from the military and those who assist these individuals; the relief of poor families of those in military service; nominations of state officials; the exchange of prisoners of war; enlisting slaves and free african-americans to assist the troops as requested by Robert E. Lee; the sale of confederate bonds; a resolution that General Joseph E. Johnston be made commander of the Confederate forces in Tennessee; draft of a resolution to evacuate the population of Richmond not involved in government work to "other places in the Confederacy where they can be better provided with the necessities of life"; the distribution of cotton yarns, cloth and cards of cotton and wool; resolution supporting the appointment of Robert E. Lee to the chief command of the armies of the Confederate States; resolution urging the congressional representatives to appropriate funds to "pay for horses killed or unavoidably lost in military service"; and drafts of resolutions clarifying the reasons for Virginia's secession from the United States
- Notable correspondents include P.G. Coughlan, Jefferson Davis, Samuel Bassett French, Robert E. Lee and William Smith
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Records, 1861-1865.
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Records, 1861-1865.
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Oorjs1mYMLc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Oorjs1mYMLc/">Records, 1861-1865.</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...