The Resource 1739-1831
- Inclusive dates
- Estate administration records -- Virginia | Prince William County
- Prince William County (Va.)
- Public records -- Virginia | Prince William County
- Claims -- Virginia | Prince William County
- Douglas, William,
- Simms, Charles, 1755-1819
- Prince William County (Va.) -- History
- Certificates -- Virginia | Prince William County
- Judicial records -- Virginia | Prince William County
- Letters of recommendation -- Virginia | Prince William County
- Records, 1739-1831, of Prince William County Circuit Court consist of an administrator's account and a certificate related to administration of an estate (1799, 1831); recommendations for appointments of officials (1781); miscellaneous court documents related to judgments (1757, 1765); documents related to proving deeds (1739, 1745); court document stating how Charles Simms provided evidence detailing William Douglas' service in the French and Indian War and acknowledging Simms as a native born Virginian (1780); and a Commonwealth claim (1807.)
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Prince William County was formed in 1730 from Stafford and King George Counties.
- Many pre-Civil War records were lost, destroyed, or stolen by Union troops in 1863 during the Civil War. Sixteen deed books and five will books are missing.
- Charles Simms, 1755-1819, was born in Prince William County, Virginia. He was an officer in the Revolutionary War attaining the rank of colonel. Semmes married Nancy Ann Douglas, the daughter of William Douglas, in 1778 in Morristown, New Jersey.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
- Location of other archival material
- Prince William County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Prince William County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
ContextContext of 1739-1831
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1739-1831
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/POSfV9rVtTg/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/POSfV9rVtTg/">1739-1831</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...