The Resource General correspondence, 1775-1783
- General correspondence, 1775-1783
- Inclusive dates
- This correspondence deals with furnishing supplies to the Army. Mentioned among others are tobacco, salt, woolens, shoe buckles and knee buckles, blankets and sheeting
- These records form part of the revolutionary government records. Agency history VASV90-A1937 describes the Commissary of Stores.
- Additional physical form
- Also available on Misc. Reel 653.
- Biographical or historical data
- The office of the state agent and commissary of stores was created by an ordinance passed by the third revolutionary convention on August 21, 1775. In 1777 the office was divided, and different persons were appointed state agent and commissary of stores. William Armistead, who served as commissary of stores until the office was discontinued in February 1782, was responsible for the storage and distribution of supplies acquired by the state agent's office for the troops in the Illinois country, in Pennsylvania, and in Virginia. After February 1782 the commissary's functions were assumed first by the commercial agent, then by the quartermaster general in October 1782.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of General correspondence, 1775-1783
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work General correspondence, 1775-1783
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Q7KzpiCWd38/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Q7KzpiCWd38/">General correspondence, 1775-1783</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...