The Resource Charles City County (Va.) Exemption Requests, 1862
- Charles City County (Va.) Exemption Requests, 1862
- Inclusive dates
- Charles City County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Charles City County (Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Charles City County (Va.)
- Recruitment and enlistment
- Charles City County (Va.)
- Military Records -- Virginia | Charles CityCounty
- Local government records -- Virginia | Charles City County
- Charles City County (Va.) Exemption Requests, 1862, consist of individual requests of persons who applied to be exempted from military service or by individuals requesting the exemption of a person. Names of the persons applying for exemption are given as well as the reason given for the exemption (mainly physical disability.)
- Biographical or historical data
- Charles City County was named for Charles I of England and was one of the eight shires established in 1634.
- Records have been destroyed at various times. The most damage occurred during the Civil War when the records were strewn through the woods in a rainstorm. A few pre–Civil War volumes such as deed books, will books, minute books, and order books exist.
- In accordance with an act passed by the General Assembly 1862 Feb. 18 and amended 1862 Oct. 1 providing a mode of exemption from military service, the county and corporation courts were directed to appoint a Board of Exemption. The board was charged with deciding all claims for military exemptions brought before it, "carefully and rigidly conforming to all the provisions of the Act of Assembly." On 1863 Feb. 13, the Governor issued an order directing that where no board had been appointed, the presiding justice of each county and corporation court, together with the two senior justices, constitute the board.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Charles City County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Charles City County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
ContextContext of Charles City County (Va.) Exemption Requests, 1862
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Charles City County (Va.) Exemption Requests, 1862
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/QFzz443ZeJQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/QFzz443ZeJQ/">Charles City County (Va.) Exemption Requests, 1862</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...