The Resource Scott County (Va.) Justice of the Peace Records, 1821-1871
- Scott County (Va.) Justice of the Peace Records, 1821-1871
- Inclusive dates
- Scott County (Va.) Justice of the Peace Records, 1821-1871, are comprised of loose executions granted by magistrates. These records are found in Box 38
- Biographical or historical data
- Scott County was formed from Lee, Russell and Washington counties by a statute adopted on 24 November 1814. The county court first met on 14 February 1815. Scott County was named for General Winfied Scott, a native of Virginia, in recognition of his victories during the War of 1812. General Scott was later commanding general of the American army during the war with Mexico.
- First known as commissioners, the office originated with the county quarterly court in 1623. Since 1662, the commissioners have been called justices of the peace. They have traditionally had both civil and criminal jurisdiction. Until 1869 justices served both as judges of the county court and as individual justices; since then they have had only the latter function.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Scott County Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
ContextContext of Scott County (Va.) Justice of the Peace Records, 1821-1871
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Scott County (Va.) Justice of the Peace Records, 1821-1871
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/QqnjVNSr3jc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/QqnjVNSr3jc/">Scott County (Va.) Justice of the Peace Records, 1821-1871</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...