The Resource 1859-1865
- Inclusive dates
- Papers, 1859-1865, of Benjamin Hodges Smith, Jr. (b. ca. 1837) of Richmond, Virginia concerning his service in Company 3 of the Richmond Howitzers, containing correspondence, including letters written by him while on duty guarding John Brown, as well as letters written to him from his father. Also included in this collection are brief diary entries, official regimental records, and papers relating to wounds Smith sustained and his court martial case
- Biographical or historical data
- Benjamin Hodges Smith, Jr. enlisted on 21 April 1861 at Richmond. He was a private in the Richmond Howitzers, and was promoted to corporal, elected second lieutenant, and promoted to captain. He was wounded, and his left foot was amputated at Charlestown. He was then captured and exchanged. Smith was court martialed in 1864, but was acquitted of the charges against him. He was then captured at Spotsylvania Court House, sent to Fort Delaware, and was paroled. Smith was living in Atlanta in 1891.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of 1859-1865
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1859-1865
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/R5RLysLBy4I/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/R5RLysLBy4I/">1859-1865</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...