The Resource Hector Davis and Company (Richmond, Va.) daybooks, 1857-1865.
- Hector Davis and Company (Richmond, Va.) daybooks, 1857-1865.
- Inclusive dates
- Daybooks, 1857-1865, of Hector Davis and Company, slave dealers and auctioneers in Richmond, Virginia. There are two volumes, covering the periods 4 June 1857 to 14 April 1860, and 18 April 1860 to 7 January 1865. The daybooks list expenses and proceeds from slave sales, including sale prices, boarding, commissions, clothing and shoes, medical care, travel expenses, telegraphic dispatches, drafts and loans to various individuals, and taxes paid
- Biographical or historical data
- Hector Davis was born on 4 December 1816. He was the son of John S. Davis and Jane W. Matthews Davis, the second of his three wives. They resided in Goochland County, the probable place of his birth. Sometime in the 1840s, Davis moved to Richmond, where city directories and newspaper advertisements identified him most often as an auctioneer. For more than a decade he operated a slave jail, a place of confinement for enslaved persons whose owners had consigned them to auctioneers for sale. Davis became well known during the 1850s in Virginia and also to traders and planters in other states who sold him slaves or purchased slaves from him. Davis conducted business with a series of partners as well as on his own account. For several years in the 1850s, he and David M. Pulliam operated their auction enterprise as Pulliam & Davis. In 1850 Davis lived next door to Silas Omohundro, another prominent slave trader. Davis never married. He died in Richmond on 7 January 1863. His burial place is not recorded.
- Cataloging source
- Location of originals duplicates
- Originals located at the Chicago History Museum.
ContextContext of Hector Davis and Company (Richmond, Va.) daybooks, 1857-1865.
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Hector Davis and Company (Richmond, Va.) daybooks, 1857-1865.
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/RO0dOR2L0nU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/RO0dOR2L0nU/">Hector Davis and Company (Richmond, Va.) daybooks, 1857-1865.</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...