The Resource !UNKNOWN LABEL
- !UNKNOWN LABEL
- Dabney family
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Destruction and pillage
- Personal papers
- Dabney, Charles William, 1855-1945
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Dabney, Robert Lewis, 1820-1898
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate
- Memoirs of Charles William Dabney, of Farmville, Virginia. The autobiography consists of an outline, in addition to four working copies of a chapter concerning the activities of his father, Robert Lewis Dabney, during the Civil War
- Biographical or historical data
- Charles William Dabney (1855-1945), was a scientist, educator, and author. Charles was the son of Robert Lewis and Lavinia (Morrison) Dabney of Farmville, Virginia. He graduated from Hampden-Sydney College, Farmville, Virginia, in 1873, and attended the University of Virginia at Charlottesville, 1874-1877. In 1881 Dabney married Mary Brent of Paris, Kentucky. Dabney taught chemistry at Emory and Henry College, Emory, Virginia, 1877 to 1878, was the director of North Carolina Agricultiral Experiment Station and state chemist of North Carolina from 1880-1887, president of the University of Tennessee, 1887-1904, served as assistant secretary, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture from 1893 to 1896, and as president of the University of Cincinnati from 1904-1920. Dabney retired in 1920, but continued to be an active writer, writing for Universal Education in the south.
- Robert Lewis Dabney (1820-1888), the father of Charles William Dabney, was a Presbyterian clergyman and teacher, associated with Hampden-Sydney College and the Union Seminary of Virginia at Farmville, Virginia. During the Civil War, Robert Dabney served first as a chaplain with the 18th Virginia Infantry Regiment, then as an officer on the staff of Stonewall Jackson. After Jackson's death in 1863, Dabney wrote a biography of the general, LIFE AND CAMPAIGNS OF LIEUTENANT GENERAL THOMAS J. JACKSON (1866).
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Location of originals duplicates
- Originals located at University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill, N.C.), Southern Historical Collection.
ContextContext of !UNKNOWN LABEL
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work !UNKNOWN LABEL
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/RZIyuiaq-28/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/RZIyuiaq-28/">!UNKNOWN LABEL</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...