The Resource Robert Alonzo Brock personal correspondence, 1860-1908
- Robert Alonzo Brock personal correspondence, 1860-1908
- Inclusive dates
- Correspondence, 1860-1908, of Robert A. Brock, including letters sent and received by Brock. The collection is labeled personal correspondence, although the letters also relate to aspects of his position as secretary of the Virginia Historical Society. Topics include estate sales and purchasing of materials for the Historical Society; news of family and friends; subscriptions; home repairs; and certificates and diplomas. Unfortunately there is no distinguishable organization to the arrangement of the correspondence
- Biographical or historical data
- Robert Alonzo Brock, historian, antiquarian, and collector, was born in Richmond, Virginia in 1839. At the outbreak of the Civil War he enlisted in the 21st Virginia Regiment, transferring later to a hospital unit with which he remained for the duration of the war. Brock later served as associate editor of the Richmond Standard (1879-1882), corresponding secretary of the Virginia Historical Society (1875-1892), and secretary of the Southern Historical Society (1887-1914). He also edited the societies’ papers and authored the first biographical dictionary of Virginians (Virginia and Virginians). An avid collector of Virginiana, Brock started his collection before the Civil War and added materials up to the time of his death in 1914, accumulating nearly 50,000 manuscripts relating to Virginia and the history of the South.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Robert Alonzo Brock personal correspondence, 1860-1908
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Robert Alonzo Brock personal correspondence, 1860-1908
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/RhybG1VRI1Q/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/RhybG1VRI1Q/">Robert Alonzo Brock personal correspondence, 1860-1908</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...