The Resource Cumberland County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1850-1861
- Cumberland County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1850-1861
- Inclusive dates
- Free African Americans. -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Marriage. -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Marriage records -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Free African Americans. -- Marriage -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Marriage registers -- Virginia | Cumberland County
- Cumberland County (Va.)
- Cumberland County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Cumberland County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1850-1861, is a list of marriages celebrated in the county and recorded by the county clerk. The register is very basic and includes only the date of the license and the names of the persons for whom the marriage license was issued. The volume contains only eight numbered pages. Marriages between free negroes or free persons of color are noted in parentheses between 1850 and 1859
- Biographical or historical data
- Cumberland County was formed from Goochland County in 1749. The county was named for William Augustus, duke of Cumberland, third son of King George II.
- Prior to 1853, when the Commonwealth began recording vital statistics, Virginia marriages were recorded at the county or city level. Beginning in 1661, in order to be married by license, the groom was required to go before the county clerk and give bond with security that there was no lawful reason to prevent the marriage. The license, then issued by the clerk, was given to the minister who performed the service. Written consent from a parent or guardian was needed for individuals younger than twenty-one years.
- The original marriage records, from which this volume was compiled, were created by the County Court.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- This volume is located at the State Records Center. Contact Archives Research Services for access information, directions and hours.
- Additional Cumberland County Marriage Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
ContextContext of Cumberland County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1850-1861
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Cumberland County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1850-1861
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/RuyNX3YUiNw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/RuyNX3YUiNw/">Cumberland County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1850-1861</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...