The Resource Collateral inheritance taxes on estates, 1913-1921
- Collateral inheritance taxes on estates, 1913-1921
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Revenue Assessment and Collection - Inheritance Taxes
- This volume contains accounts with estates, giving the names of the decedent, the value of the estate's land and personal property, and the amount of the tax due. Most of the estates appear to be in the city of Richmond. Loose material in the volume includes documentation of estates from the Chancery Court of the City of Richmond, and a Richmond City Treasurer's account for the year 1919, listing fees and taxes collected and disbursed for the "support of government, schools, roads and tuberculosis."
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Biographical or historical data
- On 26 January 1844 the General Assembly passed an act imposing a tax of two percent on every estate valued at $100 or more and devised to any person other than the devisor's father, mother, brother, sister, husband, wife, child, or lineal descendent. On 6 February 1844 the General Assembly passed an act prohibiting the taxation of estates valued at less than $250. For a taxable estate the tax was paid to the sheriff who gave duplicate receipts to the court clerk, who forwarde d them to the auditor of public accounts. The General Assembly repealed the act on 11 March 1884 but revived it on 14 February 1896.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 483
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Collateral inheritance taxes on estates, 1913-1921
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Collateral inheritance taxes on estates, 1913-1921
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/SRB6TvRuBAs/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/SRB6TvRuBAs/">Collateral inheritance taxes on estates, 1913-1921</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...