The Resource Office Tavern Post Office Account Books, 1832-1839
- Office Tavern Post Office Account Books, 1832-1839
- Inclusive dates
- Postal service. -- Virginia | Amelia County
- Leigh, Peter R
- Local government records -- Virginia | Amelia County
- Leigh, Sr., Egbert Giles, 1814-1890
- Amelia County (Va.) -- History
- Postmasters. -- Virginia | Amelia County
- Postal rates. -- Virginia | Amelia County
- Account books -- Virginia | Amelia County
- Office Tavern Post Office (Amelia County, Va.)
- Office Tavern Post Office Account Books, 1832-1839, records the accounts of individual customers. Each account lists transactions in chronological order. Information found in each account includes dates of transactions, amount owed for mailing or receiving letters, location where letters were mailed and received, and form of payment. Account book, 1832-1834, was kept by postmaster Egbert Giles Leigh, Sr., and account book, 1837-1839, was kept by postmaster Peter R. Leigh
- Biographical or historical data
- Egbert Giles Leigh, Sr., also served a term as Amelia County Court clerk.
- In 1741, Samuel Cobbs, the first Amelia County court clerk, was authorized to build an 'ordinary' (tavern) at the crossroads near his house. He maintained an office there as well as at Amelia, thus the location eventually became known as Office Tavern Post Office, and a small community grew up around it.
- Amelia County was named for Amelia Sophia Eleanora, daughter of King George II. It was formed from Prince George and Brunswick Counties by an act passed in 1734 to take effect on 25 March 1735. The county court first met on 9 May 1735.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Office Tavern Post Office Account Books, 1832-1839
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Office Tavern Post Office Account Books, 1832-1839
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/S_WycFsWQf0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/S_WycFsWQf0/">Office Tavern Post Office Account Books, 1832-1839</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...