The Resource Henrico County (Va.) Judgments (Freedom Suits), 1814-1815
- Henrico County (Va.) Judgments (Freedom Suits), 1814-1815
- Inclusive dates
- Wills -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Freedom suits -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Slaveholders. -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Petitions -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Civil actions -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Free African Americans. -- Virginia | Henrico County
- African Americans -- History
- Henrico County (Va.) -- Genealogy. -- Genealogy
- Judicial records -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Henrico County (Va.)
- Henrico County (Va.) -- History
- Slavery -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Henrico County (Va.) Judgments (Freedom Suits), 1814-1815, consist of suits initiated by slaves seeking to gain their freedom on the law side of the court. Cases are identified by style of suit consisting of plaintiff and defendant names. Surnames of others involved in a suit, including secondary plaintiffs and defendants, witnesses, deponents and affiants, and family members with surnames different from the plaintiff or defendant are indexed. Also identified are names of slaves and slaveowners found in suit as well as whether slave(s) won their freedom. Predominant documents found in Judgments (Freedom Suits) include petitions, records of suits, depositions, affidavits, wills, among other items. Information found in documents include slave's argument for freedom, acquisition of slaves by slaveowners, slave ancestry, and relationship between slaves and slaveowners
- Judgments (Freedom Suits) are useful when researching local history and genealogical information, particularly for African Americans. They are a valuable source of local, state, social, and legal history and serve as a primary source for understanding a locality’s history
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Circuit Court (Henrico County). Browse search: Henrico County (Va.) Circuit Court.
- Biographical or historical data
- Slaves sued for emancipation in freedom suits based on the following: they were descendant(s) of a free female ancestor, typically a Native American (Hening Statutes, volume 2, p.170); failure of slaveowner(s) to abide by the 1778 slave nonimportation act (Henings Statutes, volume 9, pp. 471-472); or claimed to have been freed by slaveowner(s) by deed of emancipation or last will and testament (Henings Statutes volume 11, pp. 39-40)
- Henrico County was named for Henry, Prince of Wales, eldest son of King James I. It was one of the eight original shires, or counties, first enumerated in 1634. The county seat is in the western part of the county.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Henrico County Court Records can be found on microfilm at The Library of Virginia web site. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm."
- Additional freedom suits may be found in the Henrico County Chancery Causes. Search the Chancery Records Index found on the Library of Virginia web site. Enter the tilde symbol in the plaintiff surname field.
- Additional Henrico County Court Records are found at the Library of Virginia.
ContextContext of Henrico County (Va.) Judgments (Freedom Suits), 1814-1815
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Henrico County (Va.) Judgments (Freedom Suits), 1814-1815
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/T7SPMDumDx0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/T7SPMDumDx0/">Henrico County (Va.) Judgments (Freedom Suits), 1814-1815</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...