The Resource Samuel Davies papers, ca. 1748-1760
- Samuel Davies papers, ca. 1748-1760
- Inclusive dates
- ca. 1748-1760
- Presbyterian Church -- Virginia -- 18th century
- Presbyterian Church in the U.S.
- Williamsburg (Va.) -- History -- 18th century
- Hanover County (Va.) -- History -- 18th century
- Personal papers
- Princeton University
- Davies, Samuel, 1723-1761
- Great Awakening
- Letters (correspondence)
- Holt, John, 1721-1784
- Papers, ca. 1748-1760, of the Reverend Samuel Davies (1723-1761) of Virginia and New Jersey, consisting of a number of letters addressed to John Holt of Williamsburg. Also includes a document by Davies entitled "A Synoptical View of the Human Passions."
- Biographical or historical data
- Samuel Davies was born 3 November 1723 in New Castle County, Deleware to David Davies (d. 1759) and Martha Davies. Educated first at home, then in prepatory schools, Davies studied under two ministers before receiving a license to preach from the New Castle Presbytery 30 July 1746. He married Sarah Kirkpatrick 23 October 1746; she died in childbirth 15 September 1747. On 19 February 1747, Davies was ordained by the Presbytery and was sent to Hanover County, Virginia, where he arrived in May 1747. At a time when Presbyterian ministers faced obstructions from the Virginia colonial government, Davies successfully petitioned for four meeting places in the county. Considered an exceptional orator, Davies influenced Patrick Henry among others during his twelve year tenure in Hanover. He remarried 4 October 1748 to Jean Holt of Hanover. In 1753, Davies travelled to England to help raise funds for the College of New Jersey (Princeton University), and was appointed president of the college in 1758. Davies preached his farewell sermon in Hanover 1 July 1759. Davies served as president just under two years dying 4 February 1761.
- Cataloging source
- Location of originals duplicates
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania.
ContextContext of Samuel Davies papers, ca. 1748-1760
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Samuel Davies papers, ca. 1748-1760
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/TVZEdaleshw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/TVZEdaleshw/">Samuel Davies papers, ca. 1748-1760</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...