The Resource Thomas Jefferson letter, 1780 Jan. 3
- Thomas Jefferson letter, 1780 Jan. 3
- Inclusive dates
- 1780 Jan. 3
- United States
- Luzerne, Anne Caesar, Chevalier de la
- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826
- Personal papers -- Virginia | Williamsburg
- Letters (correspondence)
- Huntington, Samuel, 1731-1796
- Governors -- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Letter, 3 January 1780, from Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), Governor of Virginia, to Samuel Huntington (1731-1796), President of Congress, noting that he has forwarded a packet addressed to the President of Congress and dispatches for the Chevalier de la Luzerne and others
- Additional physical form
- The letters were published in OFFICIAL LETTERS OF THE GOVERNORS OF THE STATE OF VIRGINIA, edited by H.R. McIlwaine (Richmond : Virginia State Library, 1926),II:85.
- Biographical or historical data
- Thomas Jefferson was born 13 April 1743 in Goochland County, Virginia, (now part of Albemarle County, Virginia). He graduated from the College of William and Mary in 1762. A member of the Virginia House of Burgesses from 1769 to 1775, Jefferson represented Virginia in the Continental Congresses in 1775 and 1776. He wrote the Declaration of Independence in 1776. Jefferson served as governor of Virginia from 1779 to 1781. After serving another term in Congress from 1783 to 1784, he was appointed minister to France and served from 1784 to 1788. Jefferson served as Secretary of State under President George Washington from 1789 to 1793, and as Vice President under President John Adams from 1797 to 1801. Jefferson succeeded Adams as president, serving from 1801 to 1809. Upon his retirement, Jefferson returned to his home Monticello in Albemarle County. He founded the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia. Jefferson died 4 July 1826 and is buried at Monticello.
- Cataloging source
- Location of originals duplicates
- Original located at the Library of Congress.
ContextContext of Thomas Jefferson letter, 1780 Jan. 3
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Thomas Jefferson letter, 1780 Jan. 3
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/TZyQG3UHmdE/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/TZyQG3UHmdE/">Thomas Jefferson letter, 1780 Jan. 3</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...