The Resource Fayette McMullen petition, 1857
- Fayette McMullen petition, 1857
- Inclusive dates
- Petition, 1857, requesting that Fayette McMullen (1805-1880) of Scott County, Virginia, be appointed Marshal for the District of Columbia by the President. The petition is signed by John T. Harris (1823-1899) of Rockingham County, Virginia, who served as a Democratic elector in the 1856 presidential election, and James Craig (1818-1888) member of Congress from Missouri, among others
- Document dated by the signatures of Craig and Harris
- Biographical or historical data
- Fayette McMullen was born 18 May 1805 in Scott County, Virginia. McMullen represented Scott County in the Virginia House of Delegates 1832-1834 and 1835-1836. He represented Scott, Washington, Russell, and Lee Couties in the Virginia Senate from 1838 to 1848. Elected to the United States Congress, McMullen served from 1849 to 1857. He was also a delegate to the Democratic national conventions in 1852 and 1856. McMullen was appointed governor of the Washington Territory and held that office from 1857 to 1861. During the Civil War, he served in the Confederate Congress from 1864 to 1865. After the Civil War, McMullen unsuccessfully ran for governor. He married first Mary "Polly" Wood (b. ca. 1808) 27 September 1826 in Scott County, and they had no children. He married second Mary Jane Wood (1834-1889) in Olympia, Washington Territory, 16 July 1858, and they had one child. McMullen was killed by a train in Wythe County, Virginia, 8 November 1880, and is buried in Round Hill Cemetery in Smyth County, Virginia.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Fayette McMullen petition, 1857
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Fayette McMullen petition, 1857
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/TcWuJqijLC8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/TcWuJqijLC8/">Fayette McMullen petition, 1857</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...