The Resource Alexander Quarrier papers, 1808
- Alexander Quarrier papers, 1808
- Inclusive dates
- Stone walls -- Virginia | Richmond
- Stone -- Virginia | Richmond
- Wood. -- Virginia | Richmond
- Bricks. -- Virginia | Richmond
- Brick walls -- Virginia | Richmond
- Quarrier, Alexander, 1746-1827
- Wooden fences -- Virginia | Richmond
- Personal papers -- Virginia | Richmond
- Virginia -- Capital and capitol
- Letters (correspondence)
- Walls. -- Virginia | Richmond
- Richmond (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Papers, 1808, of Alexander Quarrier (1746-1827) of Richmond, Virginia, concerning costs of building a wall around Capitol Square and consisting of a letter, 20 December 1808, from William Carter concerning the amount of stone necessary to build a wall; a statement, 26 December 1808, by W. Rawleigh discussing the size of Capitol Square and the amount of brick required for a wall around it; a bill of costs, no date, for the cost of a wooden wall around the square; and a cover paper
- Biographical or historical data
- Alexander Quarrier was born 11 March 1746 (old style) in Scotland. He moved with his family to Edinburg, Scotland about 1750. At age 15, he was apprenticed to a coach maker. In 1768, Quarrier left Edinburg for Glasgow, Scotland, where he remained until 1774. That year, he left for New York, and eventually settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. After serving in the American Revolution, Quarrier moved to Richmond, Virginia, about 1785, and became active in politics. Quarrier served as captain of the public guard, resigning in 1807. In 1811, he and his family moved to Kanawha County, Virginia, where he died 24 May 1827. Quarrier married first Elizabeth Dannenberry (1761-1797) of Philadelphia 1 January 1783, and they had eight children. He married second Sally Burns (1771-1852) of King William County, Virginia, 30 May 1798, and they had eight children.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Alexander Quarrier Deed, 1 November 1798 (LVA accession 33282).
ContextContext of Alexander Quarrier papers, 1808
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Alexander Quarrier papers, 1808
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ThEIcDO7UAw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ThEIcDO7UAw/">Alexander Quarrier papers, 1808</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...