The Resource Letter of Theodore F. Dwight, 1885 Mar. 31
- Letter of Theodore F. Dwight, 1885 Mar. 31
- Inclusive dates
- 1885 Mar. 31
- Contains a letter from Theodore F. Dwight, Department of State, Washington, to C[harles] Poindexter, State Library, regarding authentication of the Virginia State Library's copy of the Declaration of Independence. Dwight writes that the copper plate from which the Library's facsimile of the Declaration was printed is still in the possession of the Department of State
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia State Library. (Search Virginia Office of the Virginia State Library as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- Theodore Frelinghuysen Dwight (1846-1917), librarian and autograph collector, was born in Auburn, N.Y., and educated at the Collegiate Institute, Rochester. He was employed from 1869 to 1872 at the Pacific Union Express Company in San Francisco; 1873-1875, varying employment with G. P. Putnam's in New York as secretary to historian George Bancroft; 1875-1888 as librarian and chief of Bureau of Rolls at the Library, Department of State, Washington, D.C.; 1888-1892, in charge of the Adams family archives and secretary and proofreader for Henry Adams during his completion of the History of the United States and also for Charles Francis Adams; 1892-1894 as librarian of the Boston Public Library; and 1904-1914 as American Consul at Vevey, Switzerland. His clubs included the Tavern, Boston; Players, N.Y.; and the Colonial. He contributed articles on documents and historical subjects to Overland Monthly, 1869; Magazine of American History, 1883; Annual Cyclopedia, 1885; and was active in literary and journalistic affairs. (Massachusetts Historical Society - Theodore F. Dwight Papers, 1668-1915)
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Letter of Theodore F. Dwight, 1885 Mar. 31
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Letter of Theodore F. Dwight, 1885 Mar. 31
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ThH9-jJtxLw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ThH9-jJtxLw/">Letter of Theodore F. Dwight, 1885 Mar. 31</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...