The Resource Dinwiddie County (Va.) Register of Free Negroes, 1850-1864.
- Dinwiddie County (Va.) Register of Free Negroes, 1850-1864.
- Inclusive dates
- African Americans -- Virginia | Dinwiddie County
- Registers (lists) -- Virginia | Dinwiddie County
- Dinwiddie County (Va.)
- Dinwiddie County -- History -- 19th century
- Local government records -- Virginia | Dinwiddie County
- Free African Americans. -- Virginia | Dinwiddie County
- Free negro and slave records -- Virginia | Dinwiddie County
- Register of Free Negroes, 1850-64, of Dinwiddie County lists the registration number, age, name, color, stature, marks or scars, in what court the person was emancipated or whether the person was born free. Some clerks recorded additional information not required by law. There is an index at the beginning of the register that lists in alphabetical order by surname the names of registered free persons and the page number where their registration information can be found
- Biographical or historical data
- Dinwiddie County was named for Robert Dinwiddie, lieutenant governor of Virginia from 1751 to 1758, and was formed from Prince George County in 1752.
- The bulk of court records prior to 1865 were stolen, mutilated, and/or destroyed by Union troops who ransacked the courthouse during the last months of the Civil War. Post-1830 volumes such as deed books, will books, chancery order books, and marriage registers exist.
- An act passed by the Virginia legislature in 1803 required every free negro or mulatto to be registered and numbered in a book to be kept by the county clerk.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Dinwiddie County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Dinwiddie County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
ContextContext of Dinwiddie County (Va.) Register of Free Negroes, 1850-1864.
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Dinwiddie County (Va.) Register of Free Negroes, 1850-1864.
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/TqWYkZ_ry4I/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/TqWYkZ_ry4I/">Dinwiddie County (Va.) Register of Free Negroes, 1850-1864.</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...