The Resource Junction Valley Turnpike Company records, 1849-1873, 1897
- Junction Valley Turnpike Company records, 1849-1873, 1897
- Inclusive dates
- 1849-1873, 1897
- These records contain letters sent, reports, lists of stockholders, certificates of stock subscriptions, newspapers clippings, returns of tolls, receipts, accounts, security bonds, and petitions
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Board of Public Works (search author as Virginia Board of Public Works)
- Biographical or historical data
- An act of the General Assembly passed March 17, 1849, incorporated the Junction Valley Turnpike Company, to make a macadamized road from the town of Buchanan in Botetourt County to Staunton in Augusta County, passing through Lexington in Rockbridge County. Capital stock was set at $60,000, with the Board of Public Works subscribing to $27,000. The Board of Public Works was to appoint an engineer to locate and superintend construction. The company was to be allowed to increase capital up to $40,000 additional. The charter was amended January 19, 1850, to limit the width of the road to 20 ft., and to allow the construction of a plank road rather than macadam. March 20, 1851, an increase was authorized by private subscription for a branch from Lexington to Alum Springs in Rockbridge County, and a branch to the Natural Bridge, and also to allow the town of Staunton to subscribe to stock up to $3,000. March 31, 1853, an increase of $25,000 was approved to complete work to the northern terminus at Staunton. February 25, 1856, an amendment provided that the company was not required to renew plank or macadam which had deteriorated, and that tolls could be collected. December 22, 1857, the Board of Public Works was authorized to buy the turnpike under a decree of the circuit court of Rockbridge County to settle a suit brought by William L. Figgat and others, vs. the Turnpike Company. On March 6, 1873, the Board of Public Works transferred its interest to the counties through which it passed.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 295
- Citation source
- Board of Public Works inventory
ContextContext of Junction Valley Turnpike Company records, 1849-1873, 1897
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Junction Valley Turnpike Company records, 1849-1873, 1897
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/TuUW1dgQT_g/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/TuUW1dgQT_g/">Junction Valley Turnpike Company records, 1849-1873, 1897</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...