The Resource Commissioner of Wrecks accounts, 1837-1867
- Commissioner of Wrecks accounts, 1837-1867
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Officers of State Government - Commissioners
- The accounts contain the names of persons to whom payments were made, the amounts, and the dates paid. Records cover the following dates: 1837, 1839, 1851-1854, 1856 and 1867
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Biographical or historical data
- During its session begun in May 1782 the General Assembly created the office of commissioner of wrecks. The governor appointed two commissioners for each county bordering the ocean or Chesapeake Bay to assist in saving the crews and cargoes of stranded vessels. Persons who helped save a stranded ship or its cargo were paid by the ship's owner or the merchants whose goods had been saved. If no one claimed the goods they were advertised in the VIRGINIA GAZETTE and, if still unclaimed, they were sold at public auction. Money raised at the auction was sent to the treasurer who kept an account of it for the owner of the cargo sold. The owner, upon proving his claim to the auditor, was given a warrant to present to the treasurer for payment.
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 271
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Commissioner of Wrecks accounts, 1837-1867
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Commissioner of Wrecks accounts, 1837-1867
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/U-ZvXkH0Y-w/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/U-ZvXkH0Y-w/">Commissioner of Wrecks accounts, 1837-1867</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...