The Resource 1828-1837
- Inclusive dates
- Church records -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Rockbridge County (Va.) -- Church history -- 19th century
- Minute books
- Baptismal registers -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- New Providence Presbyterian Church (Rockbridge County, Va.)
- Membership lists
- Presbyterians -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Sessional record, 1828-1837, including minutes which cover the period, 25 June 1828-1 April 1837, and record numerous lists of members received, dismissals, and baptisms, but very little church administrative matters. Also includes a name index compiled by staff of the Library of Virginia
- Biographical or historical data
- The New Providence Presbyterian congregation was organized in 1746 by the Reverend John Blair under the care of New Castle Presbytery of the New Light Synod of New York. In 1748, a log meeting house was built and in 1753 the congregation received its first minister, Reverend John Brown. In 1755, the congregation was transferred from New Castle Presbytery to Hanover Presbytery. The New Providence congregation and the Timber Ridge congregation shared a minister and a meeting house until around 1767, when each congregation built a separate church and Reverend Brown asked the Presbytery for a dismissal from Timber Ridge. New Providence came under the care of Lexington Presbytery when it was formed in the late 1780's and was the sight of the first meeting of the Virginia Synod in 1788. In 1812, a brick church was built. A new church was completed in 1859. For more information see, A HISTORY OF THE CHURCH AND CONGREGATION OF NEW PROVIDENCE, by Ebenezer D. Junkin, 1871 NEW PROVIDENCE CHURCH, 1746-1996, by Katharine L. Brown, 1996.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Sessional record
ContextContext of 1828-1837
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1828-1837
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/UF21VU_ZUCA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/UF21VU_ZUCA/">1828-1837</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...